- For at least 24 hours after dermal filler treatment (such as Juvederm), avoid alcoholic beverages and sun or heat exposure. Failure to do so may cause temporary symptoms that include redness, swelling, and itching.
- Avoid taking aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, St. John’s Wort, and high doses of Vitamin E supplements for one week after treatment. These agents may increase bruising and bleeding at the injection site and are not recommended for dermal fillers aftercare.
- A cold compress (cold cloth applied to injection area) may be used directly after treatment to minimize swelling.
- Do not touch the treated area with fingers or other implements for 24 hours following treatment.
- After that, the injected area may be washed very gently with soap and water; however, avoid aggressive scrubbing or massaging for the best dermal fillers aftercare regimen.
- If you are prone to developing facial cold sores, the needle punctures could contribute to another occurrence.
- If there are no signs of infection, makeup may be applied shortly after treatment. Apply it very gently with clean hands and clean applicators, and do not rub the skin.
Schedule a follow-up appointment one week after your treatment.
Possible Side Effects
- Temporary bruising and tenderness at the injection site is normal.
- Minimal to moderate swelling can be expected after treatment. Most patients report that this swelling dissipates within a few hours.
- It’s normal to experience a temporary feeling of firmness in the injection area. This will gradually disappear.
- Rarely have allergic reactions been reported.
- If you experience difficulty swallowing, speaking, breathing, or other allergic symptoms, call your doctor immediately.
- Localized pain, infection, inflammation, tenderness, swelling, redness, and/or bleeding/bruising may be associated with the injections.
- Patients with certain neuromuscular disorders, such as ALS, myasthenia gravis, or Lambert-Eaton syndrome may be at increased risk of serious side effects.
- Hyaluronic acid-based fillers are injected into the skin to soften facial creases and folds while contouring the face and filling in areas of noticeable volume loss.
- Expect effects that will last from 6 – 12 months. Results may vary.