IPL Aftercare Guidelines for Intense Pulse Light (IPL) Treatment
- Because IPL Aftercare is safe and non-invasive, there is no recovery time and minimal IPL Aftercare. Patients can return to work immediately afterward; however, there are precautions that must be taken for optimal results.
- Makeup can be applied as long as the skin is not broken. Microdermabrasion can be used 7-10 days after your treatment to help with exfoliation if needed.
- Do not use Retin-A®, Renova® (or other retinoid containing products), abrasive or exfoliating sponges/scrubs, glycolic, beta, or alcohol containing solutions for 24 hours. Use gentle unscented cleansers to wash and do not rub the skin.
- Protect your skin with a sunscreen of at least SPF 30 every morning before going outdoors for the next 6 weeks to avoid sun induced brown discoloration of the skin
- To avoid dilation of blood vessels, which decreases the effectiveness of the treatment, avoid hot tubs, hot showers, and exercise for the next 24 hours. Quick, warm showers are recommended.
- If the skin is broken or blister appears, wash gently twice a day and apply an antibiotic ointment for best IPL Aftercare. The area(s) should be kept lubricated to prevent crusting or scabbing. Do not pick the area(s) or expose to sunlight.
- Hair growth may be impaired in the treated areas.
- If you should have any questions or concerns, feel free to call the office at 954-432-4343.
Schedule a follow-up appointment one week after your final treatment.
Possible Side Effects
- A mild to moderate sunburned feeling may persist in the treated areas for 2-3 days following the procedure.
- Cold compresses may be applied and you may take over-the-counter pain or anti-inflammatory medication.
- Topical 2% hydrocortisone cream may be applied to decrease any itching or skin irritation.
- Freckles and sun spots will darken over the next few days and then gradually fade in 7-10 days. They will appear less pigmented and fade with treatments.
- Facial veins will be red and may have mild swelling. There may also be some bruising. This will resolve in 7-14 days.
- IPL treatments deliver a broad spectrum of light energy to stimulate a gradual healing of the dermis while minimizing surface side effects. The treatment is most effective on light skin, and it will usually take 4 – 6 treatments to achieve maximum results.
- After just one IPL treatment, patients start seeing an improvement in skin texture and tone. And after each successive treatment, skin will gradually become brighter, clearer, smoother, suppler, and more youthful looking.
- Overall, IPL has been proven effective in reducing and reversing the appearance of the following skin conditions:
- Sun Damage
- Age Spots
- Brown Spots
- Fine Lines and Wrinkles
- Broken Capillaries
If you would like to learn more about IPL Aftercare and Treatments, contact us today.